Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the difference between online schooling and distance learning?
Distance learning is where students are given material that they work through alone, and if they run into problems they need to call a teacher for help. At IVA Global, our students engage their teachers during live real-time synchronous sessions according to a structured daily timetable.
- Do you keep to normal school hours?
IVA Global Online School has structured classes just like physical schools – our students are in class at 8 o'clock every morning and they stay in class until the end of the school day. Being late or absent is not tolerated and parents get informed of any absenteeism.
- Can I track my child’s progress via your website?
We are partnered with an online school administration company that provides parents with access to their children assessment results and comments from teachers.
- Do you have a webinar or something similar to explain how your online school works?
- Prospective parents are able to quickly and easily book calls with the head, John Luis, by clicking here to book a call. John Luis will give you a 20 minute comprehensive understanding of the school.
- Alternatively, to see the explainer video on our website that provides more information what our online school it's like, click here.
- To hear parents talk about what it is like for their children to attend IVA Online School, click here.
- Besides academics, do you have any social activities?
Our students head up various after-school clubs and societies and activities, such as the chess club and the media club to name a few. We also have an E-sports program that is managed and run by a specialist in E-sports.
- Which governing body are you registered with?
We are registered and partnered with the IEB in South Africa and have an affiliation with Tutors & Exams from the UK. We have been quality assured by IQAA, the independent quality assurance body in education.
- In what way do the teachers interact with the students?
Teachers interact with students using Microsoft Teams which is used for lessons as well as general communication. The MS Teams app can be installed on student phones making it easy for teachers and students to communicate throughout the week very quickly and effectively both during and after school. We also have the Isle of IVA which is our 3D school environment where teachers and students interact in a 3D virtual world by way of avatars that students select and customise.
- How does my child ask for extra help / extra lessons?
Students are able to ask for help during the lessons which are live throughout the school day, and which are recorded so students have the option of going back and reviewing anything they have missed. Students can also communicate with teachers using the chat feature of the Microsoft Teams app where they can message teachers directly and privately to ask for extra help or extra lessons. After analysis of assessments, teachers are proactive with addressing deficits and gaps in individual student’s learning.
- Are your teachers trained particularly for online schooling?
Our teachers have direct access to training with Microsoft experts both in South Africa and abroad.
- Why IVA Global School instead of one of the other online schools?
IVA Global Online School focuses predominantly on building relationships with students during our live online lessons. We chose this model as it is much better than leaving students with a mountain of content that they need to get through on their own. See below to find out what parents have to say about their IVA experience.
- What are the fees for IVA Global Online School?
Fees are paid monthly. 10% discount for payment upfront for 12 months.
- Grade R to 3: R2750 per month (January to December)
- Grade 4 to 9: R3 300 per month (January to December)
- Grade 10 to 12: R 3 600 per month (January to December)
- British GCSE: $50 USD per subject per month
- AS Levels: $75 USD per subject per month
What Parents Are Saying About IVA Online School
About the Head of IVA Online School
Head of IVA Global Schools
Member of the Academic Council - Fedisa Fashion School
National Mathematics IEB Examiner
Head - Reddam House Bedfordveiw
2003 - 2008
Senior Deputy Head - Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls
2010 - 2015
Head of Academics - ADvTECH Schools
2015 - 2020